Job ID: 5873
Job Title: Superintendent - Gas Distribution
Date Posted: 2012-09-11
Position Type: Direct Hire
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
# of Positions: 1
***The Superintendent oversees a division within a Gas Distribution M&C Region, serving customers by providing timely completion of gas maintenance, gas construction, transmission & regulatory work, and or gas damage control - BA w 4 yrs of equivalent experience in Engineering, Management, Construction Management - 8 yrs business exp w 3 yrs of supervisory experience***PG&E DIRECT HIRE OPPORTUNITY
This postion will actually serve several locations in the Northern and Central California area.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States. Based in San Francisco, with 20,000 employees, the company delivers some of the nation's cleanest energy to 15 million people in Northern and Central California.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an AA/EEO employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce.
Gas Operations is focused on ensuring the safe and reliable flow of natural gas to our customers. As a whole, Gas Operations is responsible for all aspects of PG&E's gas distribution and transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, restoration and emergency response.
The Superintendent oversees a division within a Gas Distribution M&C Region, serving customers by providing timely completion of gas maintenance, gas construction, transmission & regulatory work, and or gas damage control. This position leads and directs a geographically dispersed organization, typically with 4 to 8 supervisors and an overall organization of 60 to 100 employees of which 80% are IBEW-represented (T200). The Superintendent leads and fosters a culture of employee engagement, and communicates clear expectations. They develop and monitor performance agreements, coach employees, ensure that training, development and required certifications are current, and take disciplinary action as needed. This included the administration of the appropriate labor contract. We are seeking multiple Superintendents to support the growth of our Gas Distribution, Maintenance & Construction teams and the work locations and Headquarters for these positions will be determined based on candidate location and business need.
- Bachelor’s Degree or 4 years of equivalent experience in Engineering, Management, Construction Management, or other related discipline preferred
- 8 years of related business experience including 3 years of supervisory experience
- Experience coaching, mentoring, and developing employees
- Experience managing capital, O&M, and labor budgets
- Knowledge of the IBEW bargaining unit contract
- Experience supervising union-represented employees
- Experience in a maintenance and construction organization
- Experience directing the preparation of schedules, records, and reports of work progress, future projects, and evaluations of completed tasks
- Experience managing employee performance to include recognition and the use of the progressive disciplinary process
Gas M&C Management:
- Identify and influence implementation of best practices to improve productivity and reduce operating costs.
- Manage capital and expense spending to ensure work identified in the plan is completed and unit cost targets are achieved.
- Develop and implement actions which improve our response time to our customers and repair leaks.
- Manage customer service activities with the objective of achieving excellent customer satisfaction. Ensure the Work and Resource Management process is fully implemented to achieve work commitments.
- Operate, maintain and construct the gas system in a way that's consistent with all regulatory requirements.
- Establish assessment systems and monitor activities to ensure compliance with established procedures.
- Hold self and other employees accountable for implementation of the safety pledge, USP 22, the code of safe practices and the safety accountability model.
- Ensure incidents and near misses are thoroughly investigated and reported in a timely manner.
- Staff and actively participate in the organization’s safety program.
- Ensure that training is completed and properly documented.
- Ensure all gas personnel are trained to perform their jobs and be able to respond to all emergencies safely and effectively.
- Model Values and Competencies in actions and decisions.
- Create a work environment where innovative solutions to complex work issues are consistently developed.
- Ensure that performance expectations are clear.
- Provide timely feedback and hold subordinates accountable as well as reward superior performance. Identify and develop candidates for future leadership positions.
- Partner with employees and union representatives to enhance employee satisfaction.
- Partner with peers, staff departments, matrix organizations and outside agencies to improve overall business results.