Job ID: 5826
Job Title: Sr. Gas Engineer - Pipeline
Date Posted: 2012-08-28
Position Type: Direct Hire
Location: San Jose, CA
# of Positions: 1
***Senior Gas -Pipeline- Engineer will be responsible for providing eng, tech support, pipeline design, project mngnt for the gas transmission assets across the PG&E system - Likely locations will be in Walnut Creek, Sacramento, San Jose, Fresno or Santa Rosa - 8 to 10 ys exp - BA engineering***PG&E DIRECT HIRE OPPORTUNITY
SR. GAS ENGINEER - PIPELINE
Department: GT&D GAS ENGINEERING
Location - Actual location to be determined - WC/Sacramento/San Jose, Fresno or Santa Rosa
DIRECT HIRE POSTION OPPORTUNITY WITH PACIFIC GAS & ELECTRIC (PG&E)
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is one of the largest combination natural gas and electric utilities in the United States and is a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE: PCG). The Utility provides natural gas and electric service to approximately 15 million customers throughout a 70,000 square-mile territory in northern and central California. The company was founded in 1905 and has approximately 20,000 employees. In 2009, PG&E generated operating revenues of over $13 billion.
PG&E’s power comes from a diverse mix of generating sources, both conventional and renewable, and both small and large. In addition to buying power from other power suppliers, the company generates power from a large network of hydroelectric powerhouses, a nuclear power plant and natural gas-fired power plants. PG&E is committed to environmental stewardship and developing innovative renewable energy programs. PG&E is the nation’s largest solar utility with over 12,000 solar-generating customers; it has the largest alternative energy fleet in the utility industry with over 1,100 alternative fueled cars and trucks; and it has one of the lowest rates of greenhouse gas emissions in the nation (58% below the national average).
Safety is a core company value at PG&E. Our Vision and Values statement outlines that, “We are accountable for all of our own actions: these include safety, protecting the environment, and supporting our communities.” The company drives the priority and awareness of safety in daily communication, weekly reporting throughout the organization, as well as in major programs, events and initiatives. Protecting the safety of employees and the public is a value lived both at work and at home for PG&E.
This Gas Engineering position is located within the Pipeline Engineering Section of GT&D Gas Engineering. GT&D is responsible for providing engineering and project support for the maintenance, operation and capital improvements to PG&E's gas transmission, gas distribution, gas gathering and underground storage systems. The Pipeline Engineering Section is responsible primarily for the pipeline systems operating greater than 60 psig.
This Senior Gas “Pipeline” Engineer will be responsible for providing engineering, technical support, pipeline design, project management for the gas transmission assets across the PG&E system. The engineer will be responsible for a defined geographic area within PG&E’s service territory. Project support for other regions within PG&E’s service territory could be required based on business and operational needs. This position is primarily project and technical support for the area. The most qualified candidates for this position shall have an understanding and technical background working with gas distribution and transmission pipelines, pipeline engineering, pipeline construction and effective interpersonal and communication skills.
Determination of base work headquarter location will be dependent upon the successful candidate’s qualifications and preference. Likely locations will be in Walnut Creek, Sacramento, San Jose, Fresno or Santa Rosa. Training opportunities during the fist year might require more travel than that would be required during the normal course of business.
- Gas Transmission Pipeline Design: You will be responsible for engineering gas transmission facilities, which include gas pipelines, metering facilities, regulating facilities, and transmission service extensions. Knowledge of 49CFR Part 192 and PG&E Gas Standards and Specifications is critical to success. Ensure that all designs meet applicable codes and gas standards. Work with Estimators and Design Engineers to develop construction drawings which you will approve and issue for construction. Develop and maintain a high level of expertise in gas transmission pipeline design, maintenance and operations. Depending on your experience, become a Subject Matter Expert in your area of expertise and provide oversight, consulting, technical support and document updates. Must be able to work with limited supervision and guidance, both independently and/or as a member of a team.
- Field Technical Support: Pipeline Engineering support within a specific GT area to: 1) manage issues that arise with 3rd parties and other PG&E departments and the gas transmission pipeline. Examples include reviewing 3rd party development plans for impacts to GT pipelines and easements, proactively track sub-divisions and other growth developments around our gas transmission facilities; verify P/L class location, wheel loading, encroachments, etc.. 2) Work with the M&C Supervisors and crews, Sr. Gas Distribution Engineers and Corporate Real Estate Management on a variety of pipeline conflict and encroachment issues. 3) Provide real-time day-to-day engineering solutions, technical support, and on-call emergency response during dig-ins, pipeline repairs and other emergency response events. 4) Manage data requests for GT assets such as class location study reviews, allowable pressure reviews, GIS data integrity.
- Planning, Budgeting and Project Management: Responsible for managing gas transmission pipeline projects from conception to completion. Project phases include: evaluating problems, developing a job scope, evaluating alternatives, justification, budgeting, pipeline routing, material procurement, land acquisition and right-of-way, engineering, estimating, construction and record keeping. Primary emphasis is on scope, resource scheduling, and cost control. May require preparation of specifications and contracts.
- Communication: Depending on experience, you will be acting as the technical owner representative for GT assets within a geographic Area. You must proactively communicate with numerous organizations throughout PG&E. Specifically, Transmission System Planning, Project Management, Engineering & Estimating, Gas Distribution Engineering and Planning, M&C T&R and Construction, New Business, General Construction, Real Estate Management, Materials, Applied Technical Services, Gas System Operations, etc. External contacts consist of various third parties such as Cal Trans, Cities, Counties, real estate developers, landowners and construction contractors.
Min 8 to 10 years of experience in engineering and/or underground construction to include background working with gas distribution, gas transmission pipelines, and pipeline construction
- Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical, civil, or metallurgical engineering.
- Understanding of Department of Transportation (DOT) 49CFR Part 192 codes and regulations and California Public Utility Commission (CPUC) GO 112E
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment as well as both an office and field environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Project, Power Point, and Outlook
- Valid driver’s license
- Project management experience
- Working knowledge or experience in gas operations or gas system planning
- Professional Engineering Registration in either Mechanical or Civil Engineering
- Experience in developing and administering contracts and specifications
- SAP experience in job ownership, materials, financials
- Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an AA/EEO employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce
- Relocation package available
- Travel stipends applied based on specific job needs
- This is a direct hire position(s)
- Full benefits and retirement packages included